Sunday 18 August 2013

Bressingham crash out of plate

ASCL Plate S/F -  Gt. Finborough Chestnut Horse 4, Bressingham 0 (played at Framlingham).

A disappointing end to our mini cup run.  Team lost 8,2,11,8 (52-29).  

This is the first time in a match (in seven years of playing) where I have had to re-throw the jack and replay my first boule because the jack was deemed too short (we didn't have a long enough measure to confirm whether it was or it wasn't).  Had my first boule been wayward, would my opponent have played on?

Thank you to the Railway Inn and Derek (from the Framlingam Shunters Pétanque Club) for their co-operation and hire of the pistes.  We wish Gt. Finborough well for the final.

4 comments:

  1. If your first boule had been wayward of course they would have played on - wouldn't we all !!
    Lesson to be learnt you should always have equipment to measure with Article 25 of the rules :"Measuring must be done with appropriate instruments, which each team must possess"
    A 20m tape for a £ in poundland
    Pacing out the length of a jack is not valid - who can guarantee they have a 1 metre pace we have all seen the couple of short ones or extra big one taken depending on what result the 'pacer' wants !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Peter.

    My point is, why not query the distance before any boule is thrown. It was only the second end... I just think it is mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree it can be seen as gamesmanship but it is within the rules so until the rule is altered we unfortunately have to put up with it, if we had to measured the length of the jack every end it would slow proceedings a lot, however to try this out play in the 'Fixed Coche' competition on 6 October at Bob Carter Centre (open comp so no licence required) also needs different tactics and mindset

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never liked the idea of a 'fixed coche' but I think I will give it a go.

    ReplyDelete