Sunday 29 January 2012

Coaching

Last year, after playing pétanque for around seven years, Dave and I decided we would like to learn more about coaching in the sport.  Previously, our only experience in that direction had involved three of us from the Diss club, volunteering to do a ten week after-school club.  We were introducing a dozen, 7 and 8 year-olds to the game. Keeping them interested between squabbles and toilet trips (them, not us), was indeed a challenge. After this initiation, things could only improve we thought!

If we were going to set up our own club, we were determined that new players would be taught the correct way of doing things, from the outset.  Unlike ourselves, who learned by imitating anyone who we thought looked good - leading to us picking up bad habits early on, which are very hard to break.

The ground at British Sugar, Bury St. Edmunds hosted the grade 3 training day and was attended by three other players apart from ourselves and the EPA head coach Brian Stote.  Although everyone else seemed far more experienced in the sport than us, they were all so friendly, we immediately felt at ease.  An interesting morning was spent in the 'classroom' learning about the history, rules, roles of a coach etc.

After the lunch break came the practical session, including demonstrations by Brian and individual assessments of our techniques.  I found that my boules, which I have been using for about five years, are slightly too big and heavy for me to grip correctly.  This is another area where beginners need advising, to avoid costly mistakes when buying their first set.  Day one over - that was the easy one!

Neither of us were looking forward to taking an exam again after a break of over thirty years.  I hasten to add that we were both very conscientious, revising in every spare minute and making up cards to test each other (note to my son Adam, doing his GCSEs - if I can do revision at my advanced age, then you have no excuse!).

July 2nd, 11am and the written test was over.  Normally known for my neat handwriting, my hand had been shaking so much when I started, I'm surprised that anyone could read my answers.  Despite this, I was quietly confident that I had managed to get the required percentage correct.  We both knew which part of the day we were least looking forward to....

Picking out pieces of paper from a box, tombola-style but instead of winning a box of chocolates, we had to 'coach' everyone present on the subject mentioned.

Nerves got the better of both of us - I immediately had a mental block and couldn't think of a single occasion when I would need to 'shoot out the jack'.  Dave rallied to my aid discretely but then froze in mid explanation of his own subject.  Things weren't looking too good.

Thankfully an improvement ensued in the second phase when Dave somehow managed to pick out the star prize - his favourite subject.  Any of you who are acquainted with Dave, will know that he could talk for England on 'the landing spot'.

The exam finished with us demonstrating our grips, stance, etc., alternating with finding any faults in our partner's techniques.  Whilst waiting for our turn in this, we took part in various challenges which would be useful in our future coaching sessions.

The two days were hard work but they gave us a wealth of information and hopefully the confidence to be able to pass it on to our keen beginners.

Now we are fully qualified, all we want to know, is where are you all??


Lindsay.

No comments:

Post a Comment